Wednesday 21 March 2012

Statements to make you think..

As I have previously said all the works here come from my own personal thoughts or beliefs. This is especially true in the piece below. I have always had and I hope will always have a strange faith in complete strangers. I believe in people I have never met. I am well aware that this is both a quality and a flaw but I would rather see it as a quality. Wouldn't you like to meet someone, who you have never previously met, who has faith in you even though they know nothing about you?! Perhaps your answer is no but I think in this day and age we need more faith in the world.
Before anyone gets mixed up...when I talk about faith here I do not mean in a religious way.




I had fun with these two pieces escaping from the original uniformity the letters had in previous mail art. I cut around the letters themselves and even cut out whole words.



If I am honest although I like the message of the above piece I am now sure about the composition. I am usually a lot more comfortable with where the letters sit on the envelope before I send them. I may not in fact send this particular piece...but then it would be a shame to waste that beautiful yellow 'The'!

The other thing about this piece is it's double edged meaning, that I did not properly think about until I had finished it. You see, a smile can be powerful in many ways, it can bring someone up from a bad time but it can also be used to manipulate people. Why do you think sales assistants are always smiling? If someone is smiling at you, you are far more likely to have positive feelings toward that person...and what they are selling...
However by the same token, don't you love it when strangers smile at you? It is far better to pass someone in the street who smiles then someone who looks grumpy. Why bring everyone else down eh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me things...