Monday 5 March 2012

Letters

The idea for these letters was inspired by the artist Douglas Gordon. He send letters containing quotes to people he knew. The quotes taken out of context could look quite sinister however he had written the letters as normal with his address on the top and signature on the bottom. This created an unusual juxtaposition which i enjoyed. However I decided to leave my letters anonymous to a degree because it suited the aesthetic better. All the letters were sent with a self addressed and stamped envelope with the hope that one of my neighbours will send me something back even if it is just something along the lines of: "what the hell?!" 

These three letters are now winging there way to my neighbours...so *fingers crossed* for something.







The above were all sent in a similar envelope to the one below, under the flap of each (as you can see) i have asked each recipient to put the letter in their window or on their door to show me a sign that they received it, even if they don't reply.




On the outer side of the flap is the blog address so that whoever receives one can find out why.

If your one of the lucky people to receive one of these then please get in contact, by post would be excellent or if your really keen give me a buzz i suppose!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you believe in me :-)

    I got mine today. At first I wasn't sure whether I knew you or not, but then I read the blog.

    It's a lovely idea and it did make me smile. Walking out the door this afternoon I realised how few people I knew that lived within 20 metres of my flat, which is a shame.

    Pleased to meet you, my name is David and the cats you might see occasionally in the window are Patches and Charley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David, lovely to hear from you.

    I would leave a longer comment but instead I'll say watch your letter box :)

    And i'll look out for the cats.

    Thank you.

    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me things...